The Avionic Certification Specialist’s primary responsibility is to conduct the necessary analyses, tests, and other activities to determine that an avionics design complies with the relevant airworthiness standards. These activities will be in support of design change approvals issued by Transport Canada and other civil aviation authorities. The Avionics Certification Specialist’s responsibilities will also include conducting avionics testing on business jets and assisting with mentorship of the electrical avionics team.
Essential Functions/Key Responsibilities
All employees at EMTEQ work for the customer and strive to provide “customer delight.” Each of us has areas of expertise, but these roles do not confine us. Rather, they provide a starting point where we delight the customer, continuously improve, and challenge others.
· Remain knowledgeable on the Transport Canada and foreign regulations, policies, standards, and advisories relevant to aircraft design change approval.
· Provide certification input to avionics design activities, to ensure that certification requirements are met.
· Review design data, related to avionics installations, to determine compliance with airworthiness standards.
· Review technical reports which are intended to prove that avionics design data defines a configuration which complies with the relevant airworthiness standards.
· Prepare technical reports which prove that avionics design data defines a configuration which complies with the relevant airworthiness standards.
· Prepare test procedures, direct testing, and prepare test reports to prove that an avionics installation complies with the relevant airworthiness standards.
· Act as avionics designer, for cabin systems such as lighting, CES, passenger entertainment, LAN, and galley systems. Develop wiring diagrams with considerations and constraints such as:
· compliance with airworthiness standards
· practicality of procurement, manufacture, and installation
· material and installation costs
· customer expectations / requirements
· budget & schedule
· Prepare drawings and / or liaise with draftsperson to coordinate preparation of drawings based on sketches.
· Research applicable regulations, standards, advisories, and policies related to avionics certification, and determine applicability of such data to typical and non-typical avionics projects.
· Work in a productive, cooperative, tolerant, and respectful way with customers, aviation authorities, and co-workers in the resolution of compliance, certification, and design issues.
· Prepare high visibility and safety critical documents such as flight manual supplements and maintenance manual supplements. Exceptionally high English language composition standards are required.
· Participate in and direct on-aircraft testing of avionics systems.
· Participate in off-site tasks such as surveys, installation evaluations, tests, and installation support activities.
Additional Functions/ Responsibilities
· Liaise with ACS DAO members, TCCA, FAA, and/or other foreign airworthiness authorities to coordinate acceptance / approval of avionics modifications.
· Prepare maintenance, flight, and installation documents such as flight manual supplements, instructions for continued airworthiness, flight crew operating manuals, and installation instructions.
· Participate in design reviews.
· Familiar with Canadian Aviation Regulations, Advisories, and Standards
· Familiar with on-airplane test procedures for avionics systems such as VHF navigation, communication, DME, transponder, TCAS, air data, autopilot, and flight director.
· Familiar with the operation of typical avionics ramp test equipment
· Familiar with operational and safety aspects of ground engine runs and avionics ground testing
· Familiar with architecture of typical avionics systems such as VHF navigation, communication, DME, transponder, TCAS, air data, autopilot, and flight director.
· Ability to communicate effectively with many levels of staff within the company’s and customer’s environment
· Familiarity with conduct and safety requirements in business jet completion and MRO settings
· Exceptional technical writing ability. Ability to prepare technical reports such as compliance reports, flight manual supplements, and maintenance manual supplements.
· Experienced on Microsoft Office software.
· Preference for strong problem solving skills and detail oriented with strong administrative follow-up and follow-through.
- Ability to achieve high individual results in a team-based setting.
· AME license, category “E”, or Electrical Engineer, with 7+ years experience on modern business jets. Candidates with equivalent training / experience will be considered.
· Preferred: Formal training and/or experience in avionics / electrical design, certification testing, compliance documentation, or aircraft certification.
Travel Requirements: Air travel within Canada and outside of Canada may be required, up to 20%, duration of trip varies depending upon customer needs.
- Significant time will be spent on business jets, in typical MRO and completion center environments. Aircraft may be positioned within hangar our on ramp.
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
This Job Description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the employee. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee. The employee may be asked to perform other duties as required.
License and Certification Requirements
This position may require use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), (Emteq Corp., Export management System) and Emteq Canada Controlled Goods Program. All applicants may be required to disclose citizenship status.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Apply on line at www.EMTEQ.com and click on the “careers” tab
or enter the following link in your browser: http://www.emteq.com/careers
** Please apply by October 18, 2013.